Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Life in a Small Town

I have an aunt who lives in a tiny town in central Illinois.  This town consists mostly of a Presbyterian church, a Catholic church, a tavern, a school, and my aunt's house.  I happened to be visiting one Sunday morning when I noticed that I was about to run out of cigarettes.  I asked her where I could go to replenish my supply, figuring that I would have quite a drive to another town that was large enough to have a Seven/Eleven store.

When I asked her for directions, she said, "Why would you want to go that far?  The tavern will be open any minute." I patiently pointed out to her that it was Sunday morning and the tavern wouldn't be open.  She looked at me with a rather surprised face, consulted her watch, and said, "Oh yes it will.  The Catholics will be out of church any minute."

No comments:

Post a Comment